Work Story

I've been working for GMA 7 as a news writer for QTV11's late night news program, News on Q for 6 weeks now and I started working last April 26.

       I wake up during early mornings, whenever there's a phone call, and I take a bath a quarter before 1 p.m. My dad usually take me to work but since last week, I've been taking cabs since his eye just got operated. I usually arrive by 2 pm and try to condition myself that 'Yes, I am working now, no more dreaming, no more jokes'.

During the first three weeks, I spent my first thirty minutes in the office reading news updates on the news writing program, iNEWS. I still don't have my own account so I still use one of those old member accounts, Awie. But starting on my fourth week, I spent the first minutes of my time in the office browsing through news and other topics that could be used for the segment assigned to me which is the iPAD segment.

From 3 to 3:30 p.m., the whole News on Q team would be called upon to have the daily story conference wherein we discuss the topics we should air that day and brief ourselves as to how these would come out.

Right after this, my favorite activity of the day would happen--- Break Time. LOL.

My co-writers and I, sometimes even my bosses, would take our well-deserved meals before we start to bleed our fingers and brain out, uh, I mean when we starting writing our assignments. Sometimes I'm just assigned to do the teasers but at times, especially when another writer is absent,I would be asked to write varied stories; from Playboy to NBA to chili ice cream.

There were also times when I would need to watch tapes and take down notes of important scenes that could be used as videos as my articles are read.

Everyday for about 5 hours or so, I write scripts, preview videos, talk to my workmates, be obsessed with Cesar Apolinario, laugh at Nelson Canlas, Cesar and Lhar Santiago's stand up comedy show at the office every day, try to sneak in food and share it to friends, feel sleepy, know I'll see myself on TV, laugh too hard, dream of being a reporter, miss my friends, panic when something comes up, handle the iPAD....

....and when the clock strikes 9, our world stops and News on Q starts airing. And that hour becomes the most important part of my day.

I know my work may not seem exciting to some people especially those who are already living the adventurous life but I really love my job. I find it very fulfilling because I get to hear and see the fruit of my labor every day and it feels good to really let the people know what they have and need to know about our country. Aside from having the privilege to be in a healthy working environment and get to work with professional and down to earth people, it feels good that I am one of those people who get to help this nation be informed and know the truth.

When it comes to salary, I may not be well compensated but what's important is that what I do is important and very valuable. It feels to good to be of service and I wouldn't trade it for any other work.

( More work stories in the next posts! Sayonara!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment